Friday, June 19, 2009

Frugal Friday - Save on your Backyard BBQ's

I love summer for many reasons, but most of all I love a great backyard BBQ! I love to eat, chat, and just enjoy the weather. If you are the host of a backyard BBQ, it can get rather expensive! Before I started really budgeting and couponing, I would spend over $100 on meat! Ugh!

Now I know that it is the company and atmosphere that make a BBQ great - not expensive cuts of meat!


Here are some tips for a fun FRUGAL backyard BBQ:

  1. Make it a potluck! Don't take on all the work (or expense) yourself! Ask your guests to bring a dish to share. I have attended many "bring your own meat bbq's" that were fun and very successful! Just ask people to bring raw meat and you can grill it for them!
  2. Plan your menu based on what you already have. I currently have a freezer full of cheap or FREE hotdogs. Our next BBQ will be hot dogs and hamburgers! I also scan my stockpile for ideas for jello salads, pasta salads, and desserts.
  3. Plan your menu based on the sales. If you find a great deal on chicken, stock up for your BBQ!
  4. Plan fun FREE activities. For our 4th of July BBQ a few years ago we spent a lot of money just to get entertaining activities for the kids - a cheapo slip and slide, Frisbees, balls, a mini pool, etc. Most of the items were no good after the party! This year they can play with our existing toys, run through the sprinkler, etc. and have just as much fun! The adults can play charades, other fun games, or just chat!

How about you? How do you make your backyard BBQ's fun and frugal?

Check out other Frugal Friday posts on Life as Mom HERE.

-Michelle

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin