Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Works for me Wednesday - Photo Organization

I have always had this dilemma about how to store our digital photos. We purchased our first camera when my nephew was born and we sorted our pictures by family and events (i.e. a folder for my brother's family, a folder for our family, Christmas etc.). When we had our first child we had a folder for his 0-6 months, 6-12 months, etc. When our second child came along we had a dilemma because we started a folder for our daughter. Most of the pictures had both kids in them so we were feverishly trying to put copies in each folder and basically we failed miserably.

We were still using that system when I recently attended an Enrichment Activity at church where we talked about taking photos and photo preservation/storage. I was really impressed by my friend Maggie's explanation about how she stores photos. First of all she has six children and is (or at least seems to be) super organized. Her method just made sense. So much that I went home and reorganized all my photos - and I love it! Now all of our photos are organized by year. That's it. Now that it is 2009 everything gets dumped directly from our digital camera into that folder. Then at the end of the year, I will copy all of the photos onto a disc and store it in our safety deposit box. That if our computer crashes, our house burns down, etc., etc., etc,. I will have all of our photos tucked safely in a secure location. It works for me!

To find more Works for me Wednesday ideas check out We are THAT Family!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin