Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Weekly Shopping Trip - the $5.00 budget edition!

So, I seem to have a problem. I am chronically over budget. My goal is $50.00 per week. My current average is $65.00 per week. Not terrible by any means, but above what I have budgeted. I set a goal for myself to see how far I could stretch $5.00 this week.

Yes, $5.00!

I needed bread, milk, toilet paper, and distilled water. I started the week with a $5.00 catalina for Albertson's and a $5.00 Register Reward from Walgreen's. I wasn't hurting for sure. I knew I could get some or a portion of all of those items with those two coupons that I had. I have been really low on cereal, and I REALLY wanted to get in on the deal Albertson's was having, so I got creative and came up with a pretty dang good scenario. If I do say so myself. And I do! Are you ready...? Here we go!

Albertson's Transaction#1 was:

4 boxes of Post Selects - $10.00 (-$4.00 instant discount - 1 $1.00 off 2 coupon doubled) = $4.00

2 Velveeta shells & cheese cups - $2.00 (-B1G1Free coupon) = $1.00

Used $5.00 catalina - paid $.42 tax + I received a $3.00 catalina for the cereal and a $1.00 catalina for the mac&cheese!

Transaction# 2 was: 4 boxes of Honey Bunches of Oats - $10.00 (-$4.00 instant discount -2 $1.00 off 2 coupons doubled) = $2.00

2 gallons milk(not pictured) - $3.98

Used $3.00 and $1.00 catalina from tran#1

Net OOP: $2.46!

Next I went to Walgreen's:
3 rolls of TP - $1.47
1 Soft Soap Serum - $3.99
Used $5.00 Register Reward
Net OOP: $.79 + I received a $4.00 Register Reward for the Soft Soap!
Transaction#2 was:

3 gallons of distilled water - $2.00 (w/in ad coupon)

1 can olives - $.99 (w/in ad coupon)

3 rolls of TP - $1.47

Used $4.00 RR from Transaction#1

Net OOP: $.73

So for everything you see here, I spent a total of $4.40! I have $.60 left and no bread.

Hmmm...we have been doing okay that past few days without it (we have 3 pieces left!), but I am going to make some bread and or bread items like Pita Pockets, rolls, and bread in my bread machine. I think we will make it until Monday!

Does anyone have any great bread recipes I should try?
-Michelle

See more shopping trips at The Grocery Cart Challenge!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

You did awesome at Albies! Wish I'd seen this before I did my late-night-last-night-of-the-sale trip last night! I could have scored even more (I haven't posted it yet). Great job at sticking to the budget! As for the bread, we just got back from a boating vacation, ran out of bread, stores on remote islands were out of bread so my kids almost prefer crackers now :) Crackers are almost always cheap or on sale!

SavingSomeGreen said...

Thanks, I was pretty happy with this. I do have a lot of crackers, great idea!

It has been a long time - are you still blogging?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin