Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Works for me Wednesday - Uses for Pork Roast


Up until a few months ago, I had never really been a fan of pork roast. Mostly I hadn't really ever had it and I didn't really know how to use it. I became a big fan when I was finding it at Winco for around $1.50/lb and a couple of weeks ago I even found it for $1.28/lb! I found out that I like pork roast and enjoy the versatility it offers.
When I make a pork roast, initially I cook it in the crock pot then I love getting creative with the leftovers.
To cook it in the crock pot:
  1. Place the pork roast in the crock pot
  2. Add 1 T. vinegar and 1 T. worcestershire sauce to a measuring cup and fill the rest with water.
  3. Pour mixture over pork roast.
  4. Sprinkle pork roast with your favorite seasoning. For us it is Montreal Steak Seasoning - we love this. We got one of the huge honkin' ones from Costco a few years ago and we are slowly but surely working our way through it. If you haven't tried it before, you should.
  5. Cook on low for 8ish hours.

We eat it this way the first night - it basically just shreds apart.

For leftovers I have tried:

  1. Making my quesadillas replacing the chicken with pork.
  2. Shredding then adding BBQ sauce (which there is a lot of in my stockpile!), serve in a burrito or on a bun
  3. When it started to get a bit dry, I once shredded it and added mayonnaise and made a sandwich out of it (like a tuna sandwich) it was delicious.

I must say, I love the frugality and versatility of pork roasts - it works for me! We are THAT Family has some other great Works for me Wednesday ideas HERE. This week the theme is back to school ideas...this doesn't apply to me yet...hence the Pork Roast Post!

-Michelle

3 comments:

3XMom said...

hmmm..sounds good! I love pork. Will try this, thanks!

Mombrud said...

I have a great recipe for leftover pork roast:

Rice Casserole
1 cup uncooked rice
1½ cups water
1 can consommé soup
1 med onion chopped
½ cube margarine
½ cup to 2 cups chopped meat
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a covered casserole dish. Bake at 350 for 1 hr to 1hr 15 min until liquid is all absorbed.

SavingSomeGreen said...

3XMom - Thanks!

Brudcrew - thanks for sharing this recipe. It looks yummy and easy!

-Michelle

Blog Widget by LinkWithin