Saturday, April 4, 2009

Soft Pretzels

This is a recipe that I recently tried that I found in The Complete Tightwad Gazette (pg 369). I have never been able to find an easy good tasting soft pretzel recipe...until now. These were soft and delicious and my family LOVED them!

Soft Pretzels

1 pkg yeast

1 1/2 cups warm water

1 T sugar

1 T salt

4 c. flour

1 egg

Combine yeast, water, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in flour. Knead on a table until the dough is smooth. Shape dough into pretzel, heart, or animal shapes using water to "glue" two parts together. Place on greased cookie sheet. Brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle with salt. Bake in a preheated oven at 425 for 15 minutes.

That is the exact recipe, but I did some variations:
  • I also brushed butter on each pretzel.
  • I added cinnamon and sugar to some pretzels (pictured above), and garlic salt to some pretzels with yummy results.
They also turned out a bit thick, so next time I would roll them out thinner before shaping. See what else is cookin' at The Grocery Cart Challenge's Recipe Swap!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin