Friday, May 15, 2009

Frugal Friday - Copy Cat!

It is important for me to have a home that is comfortable and cute. I love to to decorate. Sometimes that can be hard on a budget. One thing I love to do is copycat items I see in magazines, catalogs, or online. Here is an example I did recently:

I saw these pictures in a Deseret Book catalog that came to my home. They were about $9.95 and were about 3 X 5 inches. If I wanted a set of them it would be about $30-$40! Yikes!

I wanted to make my own. To start I had some fabric remnants from a skirt I made forever ago. I drew the designs on with pencil. I actually clamped the fabric down on a TV tray with my husband's clamps to keep the fabric from moving around.

I had some embroidery floss, but no black and I couldn't find an embroidery hoop, so I set the project aside. A few weeks later we were getting ready to take a trip and I was looking for something in our storage room and I found an old cross stitch kit that I never made. It had some black floss and the embroidery hoop I needed. Score!

So I stitched these babies:

I think they turned out cute, but I'm not sure how I am going to frame them. I am either going to make small decorative pillows or frame them in black frames. I'm hoping my hubby can make them out of scrap wood. We'll see :).

This concept can apply to many items that you see in catalogs, online, or in magazines. It usually won't turn out exactly the same, but you can get something you like for less or in my case...nothing!

How about you? Do you have any great copycat projects?

Check out Life as Mom for more Frugal Friday ideas!

-Michelle

4 comments:

Us said...

I do this too! It is a lot more fun then just buying it too.

Keowdie said...

This is such a great idea! I often find pretty things in catalogs, but rarely buy them because of the expense. The next time this happens, I'll take a little inspiration from you and try making one myself!

Niki Jolene said...

I admire your skill!

:)

Kristin said...

They are so cute! If I were you I'd check out your local thrift stores and see what you can find! I've noticed a lot of frames here that are without glass (and they always are cheaper than the ones with glass). (Maybe find something to put behind it, like cardboard or some sort of piece of pressed wood, so you don't have to replace the glass.)

Great job!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin