Friday, October 30, 2009

Ham and Bean Soup

This is a really yummy and inexpensive soup that is super quick to make. My husband who isn't a soup fan loves this. I got this recipe from The 2002 Taste of Home's Quick Cooking Cookbook. I have been making and freezing my own beans from dried and I decrease the amount of ham by about 1/2, so it is a cheap and filling meal.

2 cans great northern beans, rinsed and drained (I used 4 cups cooked beans from the freezer)

2 medium carrots, diced

1 small onion, chopped

2 T. butter or margarine

2 1/4 c. water

1 1/2 c. cubed fully cooked ham (I used about 3/4 c.)

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. white pepper (I use regular pepper)

1 bay leaf

Mash one can (or 2 cups if you made your own) beans, set aside. In a large saucepan, saute the carrots and onion in butter. Stir in the water, ham, seasonings, while and mashed beans; cook over medium heat until heated through. Discard bay leaf before serving.

This soup is great served with some home made bread and a salad.

Enjoy!

To find more great recipes check out the Grocery Cart Challenge's Recipe Swap!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin