Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Why people don't use coupons...Part II

I started a series last Tuesday to discuss and overcome some of the reasons that people don't use coupons. Last week, we discussed the time factor.




This next reason is something that I hear a lot.

Store brands are cheaper than a name brand with a coupon.

It is a valid point because it is true in a lot of cases - especially when the name brand isn't on sale. I shared my own experience in this post a few weeks ago.

In many cases it isn't true - like when you can get an item for FREE with a coupon.

You can also use a high value coupon to purchase a smaller sized item. For example, I had a coupon for $1.00 off Suave hand lotion. The standard sized lotion is $3.99. With my coupon it would have been $2.99. The store brand lotion was $1.99. I did, however, find a smaller purse sized Suave hand lotion for $.99 making the lotion FREE.

I know a lot of people like to keep a price book. This would be perfect for determining whether the store brand is cheaper than a coupon item. Unfortunately, I am not that organized, so I do my comparisons in the store. I also have a general idea in my head about how much things are. This helps a lot too.

How about you? What is your experience with this?

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin