Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Works for me Wednesday - Bread Crumbs


I use bread crumbs quite a bit in recipes (meatloaf, meatballs, toppings for casserole, etc.). Being the frugal gal that I am, I hate to buy them pre-made so I make my own. I keep a bag of bread crumbs in a quart size freezer bag that I use and add to all the time.

I'll add anything to my breadcrumb bag:
  • The end of a bag of chips
  • The last of a box of crackers (saltines, goldfish, Ritz, etc.)
  • Dried up bread, biscuits, corn muffins, etc.

I just throw it into my magic bullet or food processor and pulverize it and add it to the bag. This helps me to avoid wasting food that could get tossed in the garbage. My breadcrumbs are always different, but I have never had an experience where it made anything taste funny or weird. It is fun to see what flavors come through in different recipes.

I love making my breadcrumbs this way...it works for me!

Check out Rocks in my Dryer for other great Works for me Wednesday ideas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea, and one I haven't tried yet. I will now! Thank you.

valley view farm said...

Oh what an awesome idea!! I usually just dump them on the back patio for the birds. I will totally start doing this, thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin