Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Works for me Wednesday - Set the timer!

Sometimes my life can get a bit overwhelming with kids, jobs, family, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. Sometimes I just don't know where to start, so I don't do anything.

When I was a kid, my mom had a system where she would set a timer for 5 minutes and we had to hurry and do something before the timer went off (clear the table, do the dishes, put our clothes away, etc.). This ingenious idea has carried over into my adulthood. On the days I don't feel so motivated, this kitchen timer motivates me:I pull it out, set it for a 1/2 hour and that is my cleaning time. Then I set it for another 1/2 hour and that is my blogging time, etc. If a 1/2 hour is too much, I'll set it for 15 minutes, or 10, or 5 - whatever I am in the mood for. I also use this on my son to get him to clean his room. This always works to motivate me to get something done and gets me out of my non-motivated mood! It works for me!

Check out Rocks in my Dryer for other great Works for me Wednesday ideas!

4 comments:

Veggiemomof2 said...

Great tip! I do this too.

Us said...

What a great idea!

My newest motivation technique is not turning my computer on until my house is clean (or at least manageable). It REALLY motivates me!

SavingSomeGreen said...

Ooooh! Good idea Elisa. I need to do that. I get up and go straight to the computer - bad habit!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

I need to do this. I bet I could get a lot done!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin