Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thanksgiving - the Frugal Way!

Thanksgiving is just a week away! Can you believe it? This year I am hosting Thanksgiving at my house. I love to play hostess and make great food and have activities for the kiddos. Even Thanksgiving for a host of family and friends doesn't have to be a budget buster or a stressful day. Here are some ways to save on your Thanksgiving feast and stay organized in the process:
  1. Make a menu - decide what you want to serve. I love to stick with the traditional dishes (green bean casserole, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, rolls, etc.).
  2. Make a plan - scope out the best deals on the ingredients that you will need (French Fried onions are $2.50 this week at Walmart, use the $.50 coupon from recent inserts to get these for $1.00!, canned veggies are 3 for $1.00 at Fred Meyer this week, stock up on some green beans!).
  3. Make assignments - that's right, make your Thanksgiving meal a potluck! Assign a dish or two to each family. This will take the stress of cooking and paying for the food off of one person.
  4. Make items ahead - This will also save a ton of time, try Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes, putting together your green been casserole the night before, use your slow cooker, etc.
  5. Make it fun! - This year I am going to make Turkey Cookies with my nephews and nieces using candy corn I got for $.19 per bag at Walgreen's last week.
  6. Make it about family - and all the things you are thankful for. After all, isn't that the reason for Thanksgiving?

How about you? What are some of your strategies for saving money and time at Thanksgiving?

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the awesome tips. I'm hosting this year and my hubby just informed me that one of our guests is bringing 2 extra people. The more the merrier!

Bluestripe55 said...

i have never hosted thanksgiving at my house and for some reason i have never been asked to bring anything. Probably because i am visiting from out of town (or maybe nobody trusts my cooking) so my frugal tip is go visit out of town friends and family - you save money on the dinner but maybe not in the bank account. Wish i could go to your thanksgiving dinner!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin