Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas Overload!?




I had a conversation the other day with a woman who was talking about purchasing Christmas gifts for her kids. She explained that she always buys them everything they want, but it never "looks" like enough so she always buys filler items so that they have more to open. She went on to say that they usually look at the filler items for a few minutes and forget about them after a few days.

WHAT?

I was shocked and appalled to say the least. Her kids are teenagers and I'm sure they have come to expect many presents under the tree. Obviously this woman does not have a grasp on what Christmas is really all about!

My kids are still very young and I spent less than $20.00 for Christmas presents for both of them. I picked up some great toys on clearance last year at some after Christmas sales and I am satisfied that it is enough.

Why is it that people feel that Christmas has to be so commercialized that it is unrecognizable from what the original intention...celebrating the birth of the Saviour Jesus Christ? Maybe it is my frugal lifestyle that won't allow the commercialization of Christmas - but I think it is something more. While the gifts are fun, they are a side note to me. My most treasured memories are not the gifts I received, but the gifts that I gave in love and the time I spent with my family.

I hope that as you are picking up gifts for friends and family and dealing with the hustle and bustle - that you take time to enjoy the season and special time with your family! After all, that is what Christmas is all about!


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin