Monday, February 23, 2009

Weekly Shopping Trip

I am cursed. Actually, I just have no self-control and I am over budget again. Sigh. I did get some great stockpile items and I have been wanting to try some new recipes. That mixed with Albertson's great sales this week and it was a recipe for disaster in my budget! It is important to me to still stick with my annual budget of $2,600, so I will cut back next week.

I also have started doing my grocery shopping on Friday/Saturday instead of earlier in the week. We have been without a second car for about a month now and I can only go shopping when my husband is home, so the weekends have been working better. I will start posting early in the week (Monday or Tuesday) for what I purchased the prior week.

My first stop was Fred Meyer on Friday. I got all this:

2 lbs Asparagus - $1.99

2 whole chickens - $6.86 (these were $.79/lb)

2 1/2 gallons OJ - $2.00 (w/in ad coupon)

2 1/2 gallons chocolate milk - $2.00 (w/in ad coupon)

4 1/2 gallons milk - $4.00 (w/in ad coupon)

Net OOP: $17.86

Next stop Albertson's, I did two transactions:

First transaction:

10 cans of Progresso soup - $17.58 (this should have been $15.00, but I got two cans that weren't on sale or didn't ring up right - I didn't figure it out until later.) (- 2 $2.00 off 8 coupons, -1 $1.00 off 2 coupons I printed here.) = $12.58

Net OOP: $13.64 + received $10.00 catalina

Second Transaction:

2 Betty Crocker cookie mixes - $3.34 (- 2 $.40 off coupons) = $2.54

4 Betty Crocker brownie mixes - $8.00 (- 2 $.75 off 2 coupons) = $6.50

2 Grands Biscuits - $2.50 (- $.30 off 2 coupon) = $2.20

2 Pillsbury Crescent rolls - $4.00 (- 2 $.35 off coupons) = $3.30

1 packet Valentine's sprinkles - $.99

1 large heart shaped cookie cutter - $.87

1 50 pack Valentine's napkins - $.74 (I am going to use these for my daughter's birthday this summer!)

I also used my $10.00 catalina from Tran#1

Net OOP: $8.37 + received another $10.00 catalina

Finally I went to Winco. I needed to get some stuff for my eggroll recipe and Albertson's produce prices are so high! They had cabbage for $2.99/lb, it was $.48/lb at Winco!

Here is what I got:

2 loaves bread - $2.76

1.23 lbs bulk powdered milk - $4.17 (I'm trying to stretch my milk budget by cooking with powdered milk - we'll see if this pans out)

1 bunch green onions - $.48

2 Turkey Polish Sausages - $4.96 (- $1.00 off 2 Hillshire Farms coupon I got in my coupon train) = $3.96

1 bottle sesame oil - $4.47 (UGH!!!! I really need it for my broccoli beef recipe. I know I will make it again, though!)

1 bottle rice vinegar - $1.54

.2 lbs ginger root - $.40

2 2# bags carrots - $1.76

2 lbs broccoli - $1.86

egg roll wrappers - $2.28

1 head cabbage - $.94

Net OOP: $26.16

So, my grand total for the week is $71.13 (this includes the $.74 overage from last week and $4.36 I spent at Walgreen's). I will be cutting back next week because I only have $28.87 to spend, but I do still have a $10.00 catalina to spend at Albertson's.

Want to see more weekly shopping trips? Check out the Grocery Cart Challenge!

***UPDATE***I made one more trip and spent nothing OOP - check it out here!

***ANOTHER UPDATE***Check out my FREEbie Groceries from Amazon.com here!

2 comments:

N. said...

Heck, if you want to feel better about your grocery trip "failure", just head over to my blog .. I've "failed" every single week this year! Could this be the week I stay under???

Ruth Saves $ said...

I love the sales at Albertson's! It's so fun walking out with $10 coupons, knowing your next week will be better.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin