Friday, September 26, 2008

Frugal Decorating

I have never spent a lot of money on decorating – ever. I am not the type of person that “needs” designer whatever. I do, however, like my home to look nice and to be a comfortable place. Here are some inexpensive ideas of things that I have done around my house:


This is my hallway. I decorated it with all black picture frames. They all came from Walmart except the long one in the middle. That came from Target. Altogether I spent $25.00 on these frames and pennies on the prints to put in them.


There is nothing like a fresh coat of paint to change the look and feel of a room. We paid $19.99 per gallon for this paint job (it took about 1.5 gallons). (Isn't my daughter a cutie?)




This is another view of my daughter's room. The lace curtains came with the house (FREE). The garland around the window I got for $.50 at a yard sale. I purchased the nesting tables on clearance at Shopko for $9.99 and the picture frame was a gift. The flowers were given to me by a friend who was redecorating and wanted to get rid of them. Last but not least, this wreath is on display in my living room. It was a Christmas wreath that was on clearance at Home Depot. I got it for $2.50. It isn't super Christmasy, so I keep it up all year!

I am sharing what I have done, not because I think you should do the exact same things I do, but to show that you can decorate for less.

  • Look for items that you can re-purpose, like my wreath.
  • Shop yard sales
  • Use what you have (the curtains in my daughter's room wouldn't have been my first choice - but you can't beat free!)
  • Shop clearance sales
  • Accept free items from friends and family and look for ways to incorporate them
  • Be creative and have fun!

2 comments:

Carrie J said...

Great tips. And yes, your daughter IS a cutie!

Stephanie said...

You are right, you can! I love to find good deals at thrift shops and yard sales. Your daughter is very cute!

I love your blog header too!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin