Friday, September 5, 2008

Frugality and Organization

When you hear the word frugality, what is the first thing that comes to mind? In the past, I used to think that frugal people are pack rats who save everything - bags of dryer lint, rolls of toilet paper piled to the sky, thousands or bread bags, etc...


The reality is that this type of frugal person couldn't possibly have any idea what they have or don't have. When they need something they think they have, they are wasting time going through piles of junk to find it - in most cases they don't find it and have to run out and buy it at full price only to find it a week later under a pile of whatever. Ugh! This is NOT the type of frugal person that I want to be!

Today I decided to organize my hall closet (to your right is the before picture) - mind you it wasn't overwhelmingly out of control, but as I have been finding stuff for cheap or free I have just been putting it in the closet.






Here is the after picture. Now I know I have PLENTY of shampoo and conditioner, toothpaste, deodorant, and laundry detergent...and now I know that I am low on body wash, toothbrushes, razors, and toilet paper (if only there was a Kroger nearby:)). Of course I will still keep my eye out for great deals on the items I am well stocked up on - but I will be able to pass up the "decent" deals in favor of the "awesome" deals.

An important part of frugality and stockpiling sale/cheap items is being organized so that:
  1. You never have to run out and buy something at full price.
  2. You know what you have plenty of and what you can use a few more of.
  3. You know what you can share with others if you feel so inclined.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow that's great. Want to come to my house!
I need to do that as well. I try to keep my pantry super organized. I hate when I buy something I didn't need!
Way to go!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin