Saturday, November 1, 2008

Souper Saturday!

Each Saturday since mid-September I have shared a soup recipe - thus the title of this post Souper Saturday. As a kid my Dad was always concocting pots of soup and they were always (usually) really yummy. I also have that crazy gene where I just like to try something to see if it works or tastes good. This is especially good when I have a surplus of one thing or another.

This is my "recipe" for how to build your own soup.

  1. Start with a base, beef stock or broth, chicken stock or broth, diced tomatoes and water, or just plain water.
  2. In my opinion, every soup MUST have onions. Many recipes require that the onions are sauteed in butter, which is really good, but you can also just throw them into the broth and cook it all together.
  3. Look for your surplus fresh items to incorporate into your soup - potatoes, carrots, and celery are great candidates. You can also be creative - squash, zucchini, green beans, and peas are also great additions.
  4. Decide if you want meat or not - I once made a yummy vegetable soup using carrots, potatoes, onions, canned corn, canned green beans, and canned tomatoes blended in the blender - it was so good!
  5. Decide if you want a grain - barley(especially with a beef stock), rice, and noodles (or other pasta) are always yummy.
  6. Be sure to add salt, pepper, and your other favorite spices.
  7. Then just cook it for awhile until it is done. If using raw ingredients it should simmer for at least and 45 minutes to an hour.
  8. Enjoy!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin