Monday, February 23, 2009

Weekly Shopping Trip

I am cursed. Actually, I just have no self-control and I am over budget again. Sigh. I did get some great stockpile items and I have been wanting to try some new recipes. That mixed with Albertson's great sales this week and it was a recipe for disaster in my budget! It is important to me to still stick with my annual budget of $2,600, so I will cut back next week.

I also have started doing my grocery shopping on Friday/Saturday instead of earlier in the week. We have been without a second car for about a month now and I can only go shopping when my husband is home, so the weekends have been working better. I will start posting early in the week (Monday or Tuesday) for what I purchased the prior week.

My first stop was Fred Meyer on Friday. I got all this:

2 lbs Asparagus - $1.99

2 whole chickens - $6.86 (these were $.79/lb)

2 1/2 gallons OJ - $2.00 (w/in ad coupon)

2 1/2 gallons chocolate milk - $2.00 (w/in ad coupon)

4 1/2 gallons milk - $4.00 (w/in ad coupon)

Net OOP: $17.86

Next stop Albertson's, I did two transactions:

First transaction:

10 cans of Progresso soup - $17.58 (this should have been $15.00, but I got two cans that weren't on sale or didn't ring up right - I didn't figure it out until later.) (- 2 $2.00 off 8 coupons, -1 $1.00 off 2 coupons I printed here.) = $12.58

Net OOP: $13.64 + received $10.00 catalina

Second Transaction:

2 Betty Crocker cookie mixes - $3.34 (- 2 $.40 off coupons) = $2.54

4 Betty Crocker brownie mixes - $8.00 (- 2 $.75 off 2 coupons) = $6.50

2 Grands Biscuits - $2.50 (- $.30 off 2 coupon) = $2.20

2 Pillsbury Crescent rolls - $4.00 (- 2 $.35 off coupons) = $3.30

1 packet Valentine's sprinkles - $.99

1 large heart shaped cookie cutter - $.87

1 50 pack Valentine's napkins - $.74 (I am going to use these for my daughter's birthday this summer!)

I also used my $10.00 catalina from Tran#1

Net OOP: $8.37 + received another $10.00 catalina

Finally I went to Winco. I needed to get some stuff for my eggroll recipe and Albertson's produce prices are so high! They had cabbage for $2.99/lb, it was $.48/lb at Winco!

Here is what I got:

2 loaves bread - $2.76

1.23 lbs bulk powdered milk - $4.17 (I'm trying to stretch my milk budget by cooking with powdered milk - we'll see if this pans out)

1 bunch green onions - $.48

2 Turkey Polish Sausages - $4.96 (- $1.00 off 2 Hillshire Farms coupon I got in my coupon train) = $3.96

1 bottle sesame oil - $4.47 (UGH!!!! I really need it for my broccoli beef recipe. I know I will make it again, though!)

1 bottle rice vinegar - $1.54

.2 lbs ginger root - $.40

2 2# bags carrots - $1.76

2 lbs broccoli - $1.86

egg roll wrappers - $2.28

1 head cabbage - $.94

Net OOP: $26.16

So, my grand total for the week is $71.13 (this includes the $.74 overage from last week and $4.36 I spent at Walgreen's). I will be cutting back next week because I only have $28.87 to spend, but I do still have a $10.00 catalina to spend at Albertson's.

Want to see more weekly shopping trips? Check out the Grocery Cart Challenge!

***UPDATE***I made one more trip and spent nothing OOP - check it out here!

***ANOTHER UPDATE***Check out my FREEbie Groceries from Amazon.com here!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Heck, if you want to feel better about your grocery trip "failure", just head over to my blog .. I've "failed" every single week this year! Could this be the week I stay under???

Ruth Saves $ said...

I love the sales at Albertson's! It's so fun walking out with $10 coupons, knowing your next week will be better.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin