As I was reading the list of needed items I realized that I didn't have everything I needed. What is a frugal person to do? I looked around my storage room and craft supplies and ended up with this:
The only items that I had from the list were the coffee filters, the food coloring, and the clear tape. We ended up using:
- Floral wire instead of the wooden skewer
- I used recycled green tissue paper instead of green construction paper
- I used some recycled mauve tissue paper for the center of some of the flowers.
- The flowers are placed in a paper cup with 1/2 of a styrofoam ball cut to fit in the bottom.
- The paper cup is wrapped in recycled yellow tissue paper and tied with a recycled bow that was in my gift wrap box.
I didn't spend a penny and ended up with a cute gift that the kids will give to their Grandmothers on Mother's Day. I will make some cupcakes or sugar cookies and a homemade card to round out this gift.
I share this not necessarily because I think you should make it, but to encourage you to use your imagination to save yourself money. Look at instructions for craft projects and be creative with what you might be able to use instead!
Want to see more Frugal Friday ideas? Go check out Life as Mom!