It is amazing how the little things make a difference.
- Buy a $.50 can of soda from the vending machine each workday will cost you about $130.00 per year.
- Buy a $2.00 cup of coffee each workday and it will cost you about $520.00 per year.
- Buy two kids a happy meal once a week and it will cost you about $311.00 per year.
When I made my move from full time to part time, these were some of the things I had to think about and give up in order to be home with my kids more.
It has been fun to continue to analyze our budget and make more cutbacks as time goes by - and I know there is room for even more!
Some things I have given up in the name of frugality:
- Eating out (as much) - we have cut WAAAAAYYY back on this. I wish I could get to a point where we didn't go at all, but I'm not quite ready for that!
- Splurge trips. I used to make a trip to Target or somewhere about once a week and just buy some knick-knacks, lotion, clothes, etc. I haven't missed this at all.
- Unplanned grocery shopping. I used to shop without a list and just buy what looked good. I have saved a bundle planning and have cut my grocery expenses by at least 1/2.
- Expensive nights out. Nice Dinner. Movie. Popcorn and Milk Duds. I can't believe that we used to do that! Now we eat dinner at home, go to the $3.00 movie, split a popcorn, and I bring Milk Duds in my purse :).
It is amazing how a change in your way of thinking and giving up a few things can save big bucks!
How about you? What you have you "given up" in the name of frugality?
Check out some other Frugal Friday posts on Life as Mom!