Yard sales are one of the BEST resources for a frugal person. I have had great success making purchases at yard sales. Just to name a few...
- a $5.00 patio umbrella
- a $4.00 Big Wheel bike
- a $2.00 highchair/booster seat that attaches to a kitchen chair
- countless clothing items for under $1.00
- an opened package of swim diapers with one taken out of it for $1.00
- several pairs of kids shoes for $.50 each
- a $10.00 "Love Sac" (giant beanbag chair)
I could go on all day...but I won't. So, how do you get the best deals at yard sales?
- Shop early or late. Pretty contradictory, but you can get the "good stuff" or items in high demand like furniture, or kids clothes, but later in the day, the sellers just want to haul less stuff back in the house, so you can really bargain with them!
- Have a Plan. I try to hit all of the neighborhood sales that I can (one neighborhood has a Saturday where everyone is invited to have a sale). I also check the classifieds for certain types of sales and make a route to that sale and others along the way so I don't backtrack.
Other than that, just have fun. Just like couponing, you don't have to hit every good deal or sale. You will just drive yourself crazy!
How about you? Do you have any great yard sale tips? Please leave a comment!
For other Frugal Friday links, check out Life as Mom!