Monday, October 13, 2008

Monthly Mission - Fred Meyer

Today is Columbus Day. Did you know that? Normally at my part-time job I work Monday and Tuesday. It is at a credit union, so they are closed on most holidays. Thus, I am off today and will be working Tuesday and Wednesday instead. Long story short (too late), my mom had the day off today too and we decided to have a bake-fest. When she got here I realized that I had no eggs and only 1 stick of butter. What good is a bake-fest without eggs and butter? She watched the kids while I made a quick run to Fred Meyer to get some essentials and pick up some of their great deals this week.


I know - I passed up $1.50 per box cereal at Albertson's last week. That was Cheerios, this is Life. There is no comparison. We LOVE Life Cereal and it doesn't ever seem to go on sale when we have coupons, so I jumped on this. It was on sale for $2.00 per box and I had several $1.00 off 2 coupons. I restrained myself and only bought 4 boxes (although I wanted 20 :)). Here is what I got:

4 boxes Life Cereal - $8.00 ($2.00 each)

2 FM 18 ct. eggs - $2.49 (I got both of these for $2.49 b/c they were B1G1)

2 Hillshire Farms Turkey Sausage - $4.00 ($2.00 each)

1 Red Onion - $.57

2 Gallons milk - $5.50 ($2.75 each)

2 FM margarine - $1.58 ($.79 each)

2 FM Butter - $4.98 ($2.49 each)

Total before coupons: $28.75

Coupons used: 2 $1.00 off 2 Life Cereal coupons

Total OOP: $26.75

This brings me up to $80.51 out of my $100.00 monthly grocery budget. Yikes! It is not even 1/2 way through the month. I think I will be okay though...as long as I don't turn return to my deal-a-holic ways!

The good news is:
  • I a pretty well stocked on perishables, so I shouldn't have to shop at all this week.
  • I have 2 $3.00 RR's left from the Glade Candle Walgreen's trips last week (see here and here). I plan on using those for milk this next week if needed.
  • I still have $19.49 that I can use for the rest of the month.
  • My stockpile is still going strong!
  • We honestly don't need anything.
  • I can get creative if I need to - I have some powdered milk in the cupboard :)
About the bake-fest...we made Pecan Tarts, Sugar Cookies, and Mud Pie Brownies. Anyone want to come over and share?

3 comments:

Michelle @ My Gluten-free Kitchen said...

Looks like you did pretty good there. I always buy eggs there when they have the B1G1 deal going on. I might have to swing by there tonight.
What size are the Life cereal boxes that are on sale? Are they the 15 oz or 21 oz. We love that cereal around here too, but I like to keep the price at right around 10 cents/oz. so I wondered what this was.

SavingSomeGreen said...

Hey Michelle,
It is the 15 oz that is on sale, and you have to have the FM coupon from the weekly ad (which you can get in the store).

-Michelle

Michelle @ My Gluten-free Kitchen said...

Thanks Michelle! And thanks to for the info about ordering those different pocket pages for the coupon binder. I just ordered some from Lisa.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin